Who Could Bear Liability in a Semi-Truck Accident in Ontario
Were you involved in a truck accident? If so, you may want to know who will pay for your accident-related losses. If the accident resulted from the negligence of the truck driver, you may recover compensation through a truck accident claim. In California, you must prove that another party was responsible for your injuries and losses to get compensation from them. Resolving a truck accident is more complicated than solving a car accident as it can involve several parties sharing responsibility for the crash. That is why you should consider hiring a semi truck accident attorney Ontario if you want to file a claim. The best attorney knows what kinds of evidence to collect to build a strong case.
Possible Parties Liable in Truck Accident Cases
Truck accidents involve several possibly at-fault parties. These parties may include the following:
- The trucker. If the negligence of a commercial truck driver contributed to the accident, they can be held liable. Negligence includes violating traffic laws, driving while fatigued, driving while intoxicated, and driving while distracted.
- The trucking company. A trucking company that does not properly screen an unqualified driver when hiring, fails to maintain its vehicles, or encourages drivers to get behind the wheel beyond the legal hours of service limits may bear responsibility when their negligence resulted in a truck accident.
- Repair and maintenance firms. Third-party firms that service a truck engaged in an accident may be liable when they failed to diagnose and repair a mechanical issue that caused an accident.
- Truck and truck parts manufacturers. If a truck accident happened partly because of a faulty truck part, the part maker may need to take responsibility for it.
- Cargo loading companies. If the cargo was unbalanced, overloaded, or not secured properly and contributed to an accident, the cargo loading firm may be liable.
- Government agencies. If a truck accident happened because of poor road conditions like inadequate drainage or potholes, the government entity that handles road maintenance could bear liability.
- Other motorists. Any road user who is partially at fault for a truck accident could be liable.
Why Hire a Truck Accident Attorney
If you sustained injuries in a truck accident, an experienced attorney can explain your legal rights and the laws applicable to your case. Also, they can investigate your accident to collect evidence and facts that can support your claim. Your attorney will consult with expert witnesses to get reliable testimony as well as manage essential documents and deadlines.